Monday, September 9, 2013

First letter from Nicaragua.

Hola family!!!
Man do I have so much to tell you!! Right now I am in a little internet café. It is pretty crazy. The keyboard doesn’t work super well so if I don’t spell something right it is the computers fault ;)  Man I don’t even know where to start. Just like ever letter.  So we will start from the very beginning.
So Monday: We had to stand in line at the airport for 2 hours because there were problems with getting into El Salvador which is where my layover was. But we finally made it through and I got to call home and hear all your beautiful voices J That was awesome and really hard all at the same time. Haha. Then we flew to El Salvador and for some strange reason the three of us that were flying to Nicaragua all were in first class. You better believe I loved that! They fed us dinner and it was the best food I have had in 7 weeks! Haha so delicious. When we landed in El Salvador I realized that our plane was going to leave in 10 minutes so we had to run to catch our next flight. We got there and we were the last people to board the plane. It was crazy but we were in first class again. It was a super short flight from El Salvador to Nicaragua. When we got here we went through coustoms and our mission president and his wife were there to great us. They helped us with our bags and took us to get some food. We had chicken J then they dropped us off at the Mission nurses house for the night.
The next day we got picked up and taken to the Presidents house, which is like a mansion. They fed us pancakes WITH SYRUP!!!!! Crazy right? Yes. Syrup. Ahhh heaven. Then our companions were going to take a while to get to us so they gave us blankets and beds and told us to sleep. You can believe I didn’t turn that down haha. Then I was awakened and taken into the Presidents office (He only speaks Spanish) an he told me that my area would be Chinandega and my companion would be Hermana Lopez and that we will be opening the area and they don’t have a house for us right now but they would find one. That was kinda a lot to take in right after a nap haha. Then Hermana Lopez came and gave me a huge hug. She is super super awesome and I can already tell this is going to be one of my best friends. Lets see, then we had this presentation and the put us on the bus which was supposed to take us to another bus that was supposed to take us to our area. But the traffic was so bad that we missed our bus and ended up having to just have our bus driver drive us to Chinandega, we were on the bus for 6 hours. It was super exciting. When we arrived they still didn’t have a house for us so we had to stay at another sisters house and they had 2 twin matteresses for 6 of us. Haha needless to say I didn’t sleep much that night but it was super exciting. Chinandega is the hottest city in the country so I am nice and warm don’t you worry J I actually really love it though. It is like the perfect temperature. I sweat a lot, I know you all wanted to know that. But I can’t help it, with the humidity and how much we are walking.
Wednesday morning they found a little room for us to stay in at some members house and they said they were still going to look for a house for us because the room is 6ft by 10 ft with a little bathroom attached. Haha nice and cozy. So after we got all settled in we took a quick shower and then went to the bank to get our money for the next two weeks. Then we went and started contacting. At 7:00 our area gets much smaller because it isn’t safe to walk some parts once it gets dark. Opening an area is pretty difficult and I am not sure why they are having a greenie do it but I know I will eventually figure out why I am here J I love it so much, yes there are hard days but there are definitely moments that make up for it. We have a foodcita which is a lady that makes our lunch and it is super delicious everytime and a ropacita which is someone who washes our clothes J I tell you what, I am living the live here in Nicaragua.
Thursday we have district meetings in the morning (Tuesday too) and Hermana Combe is in my zone!! It was so crazy to see another beetdigger here in Nicaragua but at the same time super comforting. So we studied in the chapel and then had our meeting and then played Mafia in Spanish J People were surprised at my mafia skills, little do they know I am pretty boss at it. Haha. I also took a ride in my first Triciculo which is like a little cart attached to a bike I don’t really know how to explain it. But they are all over here and they are super fun to ride in. I will try to take a picture of one soon. I have learned that I have to walk with my head down because the men here always stare and I am not supposed to make eye contact. I have never been a minority before so that is weird for me. I stick out like a sore thumb. I have had people come up and touch my hair and grab my face to see my eyes. I have even had people tell me that I am the first white person they have seen in real life. It is crazy. They old ladies especially love my eyes haha it is really funny. They are so cute. Anyway back on track…
Friday we were teaching Jerry and he accepted a baptismal date for this FRIDAY!!! Hopefully everything will go well and I will have my first baptism this week. He is 14 and lives with his grandparents.He is super super awesome. Umm lets see, oh ya so we were teaching him and all of a sudden my legs were on fire, seriously, so I look down and there are fire ants all over my legs..... Ya it hurt a good bit. haha. So that was an adventure, my whole leg swelled up hahahaha now that I look back on it it is actually hilarious. Oh man. It rains here everyday around 6:30 and I welcome it with open arms. 
Saturday we met Ingrid she is probably in her 40s and is super nice. We taught her a lesson and told her we would come pick her up for church on sunday. Her niece was there and I gave her some princess stickers and we instantly became best friends. She was bringing me flowers all throughout the lesson :) So cute. Then we were tracking again and got chewed out for the first time. That was exciting. Haha not. So then we were in a bummer mood so we decided to go get some food. Turns out the little shack we were buying food from was owned my members so they gave us a free smoothie too :) That was God picking us back up after we had fallen. 
Sunday was awesome, well for the most part. Ingrid didn't come to church with us but its ok. I was the only white person there which was strange haha and no one could play the piano but I didn't find out until it was too late so we sang all the songs accapella.. it was... beautiful hahahahaha. I am going to tell the bishop that I can play though don't worry. Sunday though was so hard for me to stay awake, I have never had to fight sleep that hard in my life. It was interesting. Lets see then I gave my friends Jolly Ranchers and they all loved them it was pretty funny. 
Today we played with our zone. They filled up sacks with flour and we threw them at each other like dodgeball. Then we played this other game where someone writes down like a color or a name of a prophet and if you guess it right they throw a cup of water in your face hahaha It is so strange but so fun :) I enjoy it. Then we ate lunch in the park and I bought my first coke in a glass bottle. And now I am here in a little internet shack writing you all!
Fun facts about Nicaragua, it is just how you picture it, tin roofs dirt floors, half naked people, lots of chickens and dogs. And so warm :) I love it. Oh quick funny story, so we were contacting on thursday and we were talking with this man and he told me that he would join the church if he could have a baby with my eyes. That was weird but super funny. 
Well my time is about up. I know that it wasn't super detailed but give me some time and I will send another detailed one. 
I love you all!!
Hermana Willy.
P.S I don't know if Nate reads these letters but I have 2 things to tell him.
1. I go by Hermana Willy because no one can say my last name 
2. I met an Elder Giron and he said you served in his branch or something. He wanted me to tell you hello :)

No comments:

Post a Comment