Thursday, May 23, 2013

The beginning!

So some of you may know the story of why I decided to serve a mission but for those of you who don't know I am going to tell you! As you know the age for mission service has been changed and girls can now serve starting at 19. This is a huge change and it has caused a huge surge of girls my age to leave. When the announcement came out I was dating someone and I brushed it off because I didn't ever think that a mission was for me, but it kept nagging at me and it was constantly on my mind. I started praying for direction because my head kept telling me the opposite of what my heart was telling me, but I knew that the Lord would answer my prayer and I needed to be OK with whatever he had to tell me. So as I was driving to work one day the song "Come Thou Fount" came on. As a listened to the words of that song the line "Prone to wander Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love" stuck with me. I could not get that phrase out of my head and it was frustrating because I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to mean. I thought about it for the rest of the week. The following Sunday I was visiting my home ward and they were doing a special musical sacrament meeting where the speaker would talk about their favorite Hymn and then we would sing it. Music has always had such a powerful effect on me and I strongly believe that it is one of the strongest connections between me and my Father in Heaven. So as I was sitting in that chapel listening to the songs we were singing, it hit me. I hadn't been focusing on the whole phrase from "Come Thou Fount" I had gotten stuck on a little part of it. The remainder of the phrase fled through my mind, "Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above." and at that moment I knew what I needed to do. I knew that my heart needed to be in it. I knew that I needed to stop focusing on the little parts and start looking at the whole picture. I was holding myself back by not seeing the whole plan. Yes my life would change drastically, yes I would have to sacrifice a lot, but I knew the blessings would outweigh any of the sacrifices I would have to make. I know that a year and a half is nothing compared to what He did for me. I know it isn't going to be easy, in fact it is going to be really hard, but I also have a sure knowledge that He would not ask me to do anything that I couldn't do. I am ready to take on this task! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment